Thursday, June 23, 2005

Top Commander Says Insurgency Still Strong - Yahoo! News

Top Commander Says Insurgency Still Strong - Yahoo! News:

"The top American commander in the Persian Gulf told Congress on Thursday that the Iraqi insurgency has not grown weaker over the past six months, despite a claim by Vice President
Dick Cheney that it was in its 'last throes.'
.......................

Abizaid told the panel: 'I believe there are more foreign fighters coming into Iraq than there were six months ago.' As to the overall strength of the insurgency, Abizaid said it was 'about the same' as six months ago.
........................

Told by Levin, the committee's senior Democrat, that his assessment directly contradicted Cheney, Abizaid said: 'I don't know that I would make any comment about that other than to say there's a lot of work to be done...I gave you my opinion.'

In a CNN interview last month, Cheney said: 'I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home