Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Former Soldier Disputes Army Denials That He Was Beaten During Training Exercises In Cuba

Former Soldier Disputes Army Denials That He Was Beaten During Training Exercises In Cuba:

"A Georgetown resident and former Kentucky National Guardsman is angry that the military is denying his claims that he suffered brain injury while being severely beaten by U.S. soldiers during a training exercise at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in January 2003.

In a story with international implications first broken by LEX 18's Leigh Searcy on Monday, Sean Baker says that while serving as a member of the 438th Military Police company in Guantanamo Bay during Operation Iraqi Freedom, he was ordered to pose as the enemy for a training exercise. Baker said he received a severe brain injury because of the subsequent beating he received.

Baker claims that he was ordered to put on one of the orange jump suits worn by the detainees. 'At first I was reluctant, but he said 'you'll be fine...put this on.' And I did,' said Baker.

'I was on duty as an MP in an internal camp (at Guantanamo Bay) where the detainees were housed,' said Baker.

Baker says an officer in charge issued the order because he wanted the training to be as real as possible. Baker says what took place next happened at the hands of four U.S. soldiers - soldiers he believes didn't know he was one of them - has changed his life forever.

'They grabbed my arms, my legs, twisted me up and unfortunately one of the individuals got up on my back from behind and put pressure down on me while I was face down,' said Baker. 'Then he - the same individual - reached around and began to choke me and press my head down against the steel floor. After several seconds, 20 to 30 seconds, it seemed like an eternity because I couldn't breath. When I couldn't breath, I began to panic and I gave the code word I was supposed to give to stop the exercise, which was 'red.''

But, Baker says, the beating didn't stop. 'That individual slammed my head against the floor and continued to choke me,' he said. 'Somehow I got enough air, I muttered out, 'I'm a U.S. soldier, I'm a U.S. soldier.''"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home