Sunday, October 30, 2005

Scooter Libby Lies (Alleged - from indictment - link to indictment)

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/osc/documents/libby_indictment_28102005.pdf

2. On or about March 5, 2004, in the District of Columbia,
I. LEWIS LIBBY,
also known as “SCOOTER LIBBY,”
defendant herein, having taken an oath to testify truthfully in a proceeding before a grand jury of the
United States, knowingly made a false material declaration, in that he gave the following testimony
regarding a conversation that he represented he had with Tim Russert of NBC News, on or about July
10, 2003 (underlined portions alleged as false - ((NOW BOLD))):

. . . . And then he said, you know, did you know that this – excuse me, did you know
that Ambassador Wilson's wife works at the CIA? And I was a little taken aback by
that. I remember being taken aback by it. And I said – he may have said a little more
but that was – he said that. And I said, no, I don't know that. And I said, no, I don't
know that intentionally because I didn't want him to take anything I was saying as in
any way confirming what he said, because at that point in time I did not recall that
I had ever known, and I thought this is something that he was telling me that I was
first learning. And so I said, no, I don't know that because I want to be very careful
not to confirm it for him, so that he didn't take my statement as confirmation for him.
Now, I had said earlier in the conversation, which I omitted to tell you, that
this – you know, as always, Tim, our discussion is off-the-record if that's okay with
you, and he said, that's fine.
So then he said – I said – he said, sorry – he, Mr. Russert said to me, did you
know that Ambassador Wilson's wife, or his wife, works at the CIA? And I said, no,
I don't know that. And then he said, yeah – yes, all the reporters know it. And I said,
again, I don't know that. I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't confirming anything
for him on this. And you know, I was struck by what he was saying in that he
thought it was an important fact, but I didn't ask him anymore about it because I
didn't want to be digging in on him, and he then moved on and finished the
conversation, something like that.

3. In truth and fact, as LIBBY well knew when he gave this testimony, it was false in
that:
a. Russert did not ask LIBBY if LIBBY knew that Wilson’s wife worked for
the CIA, nor did he tell LIBBY that all the reporters knew it; and
b. At the time of this conversation, LIBBY was well aware that Wilson’s wife
worked at the CIA;
In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1623.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home