Sunday, March 20, 2005

Secret US plans for Iraq's oil - BBC NEWS

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Newsnight | Secret US plans for Iraq's oil:

"The Bush administration made plans for war and for Iraq's oil before the 9/11 attacks, sparking a policy battle between neo-cons and Big Oil, BBC's Newsnight has revealed.
...............................

New plans, obtained from the State Department by Newsnight and Harper's Magazine under the US Freedom of Information Act, called for creation of a state-owned oil company favoured by the US oil industry. It was completed in January 2004 under the guidance of Amy Jaffe of the James Baker Institute in Texas.

Formerly US Secretary of State, Baker is now an attorney representing Exxon-Mobil and the Saudi Arabian government.
...............................

Ms Jaffe says US oil companies are not warm to any plan that would undermine Opec and the current high oil price: 'I'm not sure that if I'm the chair of an American company, and you put me on a lie detector test, I would say high oil prices are bad for me or my company.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home